You know I usually make my own pancake & waffle recipes to share but I realized I’ve actually tried a handful of protein pancake mixtures. They’re super useful when you’re in a rush or lazy and just can’t be bothered to make your own blend that day. I’m going to give my thoughts on each to help you discern what’s good and what’s not because not all pancake mixes are created equal… :/.. I’ve listed them in order of favorite to worst.
1. P28 White Chocolate Protein Pancake Mix – By far my favorite I’ve had. While the white chocolate chips are sort of small and less prevalent than I’d like, the overall taste of this mixture is so sweet and delicious. The batter itself doesn’t taste so great, but when cooked it’s perfect. My favorite thing is they’re even BETTER when you cook it as waffles. It actually crisps up without needing to add any oil or anything, just water! I love it so much.
2. Met-RX Original Buttermilk Protein Pancake Mix – Close second for this mix. It’s SO FLUFFY and reminds me of biscuits! The batter alone is so delicious and I have a hard time not just drinking that, ha. Again, all it needs is water to cook. Great as both pancakes and waffles. The buttermilk flavor is spot on.
3. ABS Chocolate Chip Protein Pancake Mix – I love/hate this one. First off, you have to add water AND egg whites, which is sort of frustrating. The pancakes took a while to perfect; they kept coming out flat and sticking to the pan. But after figuring it out, it’s best cooked with higher heat. It also doesn’t make good waffles. But I loooove the taste. The chocolate chips are stevia-sweetened! They melt perfectly in the pancakes, it’s great. The batter is delicious on it’s own as a cookie dough dip as well.
4. Pumped Up Pancakes Buttermilk Protein Pancake Mix – This is okay! Nothing special, nothing bad. Just a standard mix!
5. Julian Bakery Paleo Pancake Mix – Still not sure how I feel about this. As pancakes, I’m not a fan. The main ingredient is almond meal so that they’re paleo, so the pancakes are very unique. As waffles, they do crisp so that’s pleasant :) But still, the overall texture is gritty because of the almond meal. Additionally, the taste just doesn’t do it for me. So it’s not my favorite, but it’s okay since it’s crispy!
6. Mancakes Protein Pancake Mix (Cinnamon Oat, Buttermilk, and Chocolate) – Okay I also love/hate this one. I’ve been able to try all the flavors at both the Arnold Expo and Olympia Expo. They were GREAT. But when I took samples home to make on my own, they came out really gross in my opinion. First off, the batter tastes awful because the main flour is garbanzo bean flour (this flour is always bitter before cooked). But even if I ADD stevia to it, it tastes ‘off’ AFTER cooking! Not a fan. Definitely best cooked as waffles, if anything.
Master vegan baking with this specially outlined online course!