Low Calorie Ice Cream

This is such a good option when you’re watching your calories or carbs and need a wonderful yet voluminous low calorie dessert. The texture is seriously like ice cream, I love it.

photo3Low Calorie Ice Cream

Serves: 1

Inspired by: Stuftmama

• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 stevia packets
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk

Mix the 1 cup of almond milk, stevia packets, and vanilla extract. Pour this into ice cube trays and allow it to fully freeze; it’ll take around 1.5-2 hours or more. (I usually just freeze it around 5-6 pm if I know I want some, then make it at 11 pm for dessert). When you’re ready to have ice cream, place the ice cubes in a blender with the xanthan gum and 1/3 cup more almond milk. No fancy vitamix or ice cream maker needed. Seriously, I have the cheapest, dinky $20 blender I could find. Blenddddddd. Stay patient with this; the longer you blend it, the thicker it gets. It takes me about 5 minutes of blending, stirring, blending, stirring, blendings… Eventually it hits a point where you just KNOW it’s done – the thickness becomes perfect. It’ll blend without jamming, but it blends SLOW and THICK. Scoop it out with an ice cream scoop or a large spoon and enjoy!

Master vegan baking with this specially outlined online course!

33 comments

1. KellyNo Gravatar says:

Just tried this out an Oh my goodness! Absolutely delicious and totally guilt free :) I froze everything and then went out to tan and swim and when I got back I had myself a nice little treat!

• KimNo Gravatar says:

You can just omit it. It won’t be as thick and ice cream-y, and it’ll melt quicker, but it’ll still be tasty :) I haven’t tried but guar gum may work!

2. Stefanie (stef_flexing on IG)No Gravatar says:

Here to confirm that guar gum does indeed work! I love this recipe.. I’ve been adding protein powder (and a bit more almond milk or water), and the sweetener/vanilla x right to the blender and I LOVE IT!

3. RachealNo Gravatar says:

How long do you usually blend your icecream? I did for almost 5 minutes and it was soooo liquidy when it was too thick at first in my nutribullet :(

4. SarahNo Gravatar says:

Can you do all of this and then freeze it to eat later? I love ice cream at night but I loathe running the blender at that hour. I know you said “when you’re ready to have ice cream” so I wasn’t sure. Thanks!

• KimNo Gravatar says:

Blend it for a while, until everything is even. It usually takes me a good 5 minutes of shifting the cubes around and blending before it’s thick and perfect.

• KimNo Gravatar says:

Yeah, it’s how I used to make it actually. Buttt…. Over time it wears down the bullet because it’s not sturdy enough so then I bought a blender.

5. CristinaNo Gravatar says:

thank you very much!! I used half water and half milk, it was good but I think it was quite soft and liquid. I will try it again with only milk. or maybe more xantan gum…what do you think?

Thanks for your recipes!!